Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Follow-up: Packing list for Motorcycle Camping

Let me start this by saying, that I'm an ultralight kinda girl.
But I'm also a serious hedonist, and I don't do discomfort.
People asked me, over and over, how i could camp with so little 'stuff'.
Well, here's what I took:

  • Two sleeping bags with compression bags (I detest WalMart but they had decent ones for $25/ea)
  • Two hammocks, one of which was the Eno OneLink, which claims to have enough room for 2. (It lies) It does, however, come with its own rainfly and mosquito net. 
  • Water filter- I used the Lifestraw Family, which was harder to get itno saddlebags due to being hard-sided, but made filling it easier. 
  • Hiker's food, dehydrated meals we just stuck boiling water into
  • A pocket stove and fuel cells, which fitted neatly into our cookware kit, along with our pair of sporks. (Fuel cells do double-duty by making excellent firestarters)
  • We also took two 6x8' tarps, one for a rainfly for my hammock, one as a 'spare' (which I don't usually do, but boy was it handy this time! Next time I think we will do a 10x12' and a 6x8' though)
  • Spare set of socks, underwear, and shirts for each day, plus some workout shorts & sportsbra so I could feasibly get into the creek if needed/wanted. 
  • Water flavoring, since we weren't sure how the water would taste once it was filtered. I expected it to be gross, but the koolaid was surprisingly good!
  • We took regular water bottles, but next time I'll just take my collapsible bladder as it packs down smaller. 
  • Pack of 100' of lightweight cotton rope we didn't mind throwing away/burning after using
  • Pack of assorted bungee cords
  • A couple of tea bags and some very small baggies of sugar and dry creamer
  • Next trip, we'll remember a hatchet


Some hacks we discovered:

  • A used, rinsed hikers food bag makes a great water carrier for 'dirty' water from the creek, as one full bag is right at a full load for the filter.
  • If you sleep in a fetal position, you'll sleep fine in a hammock. If not... well, try napping in it a few times first. 
  • The pocket stove takes TWO fuel cells, NOT 1 like it says. Two. Otherwise, it'll never boil. Also, let your dehydrated food sit longer than it says. I know you're hungry. Do it anyway. 
  • On that note, take enough fuel cells to use 2 per meal, PLUS extras for fire-lighting. We were able to fit all of ours into our cookware, as well as the sporks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment